Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blood Orange Sangria

I ended up with beaucoup blood oranges after a nutrition lesson highlighting the hydrating, cancer-fighting abilities of red fruits and vegetables for Valentine's Day, and I immediately knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.  Anyone who knows me well probably knows I am obsessed with sangria.  Someone even gifted me with the book 101 Sangrias & Pitcher Drinks for my 27th birthday.  Without a doubt, the most thoughtful gift ever!  I'm always experimenting with sangria flavor combinations, so blood oranges were a natural next step.  I built the punch around the blood oranges by choosing fruit and spirits that would complement the slightly tart flavor.  A clerk at my preferred local wine store, The Wine Source, confirmed my choice of a Torremoron Tinto 2009, made from 100% Tempranillo for this sangria.

This punch is awesome for a number of reasons.  #1.  It's seasonal!  #2.  It's perfect for today's Super Bowl Game.  #3.  It's perfect for Valentine's Day.  #4.  I've been told that sangria means blood in Spanish so the addition of blood oranges increases the irony of this punch's name.  #5.  It freakin' good.  #6.  I get to have sangria all week after those long work days.

Blood Orange Sangria


Ingredients:

1 cup simple syrup
1 bottle red wine (750mL)
1 cup fresh-squeezed blood orange juice
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup triple sec
1 Brown Asian Pear, diced
1 Honeycrisp Apple, diced
2 Kiwis, sliced
2 cup Black Seedless Grapes
1/2 lime, juiced

Directions:

Begin by making the simple syrup: combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup hot water in a container.  Set aside.  Wash and cut the pear, apple, and kiwis.  Set aside.  Wash grapes and set aside.  In a saucepan, combine the cut fruit and 1 cup of grapes with the simple syrup over low heat.  Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.  Discard cooked grapes.  Combine remaining ingredients in a large ceramic or glass container.  Add the fruit and syrup mixture and stir well.  Cover and refrigerate at for at least 4 hours.  Serve over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment