After a long day at work and a relatively intense workout, I decided to keep it simple in the kitchen today and whipped up a mean bean salad. I chose fava beans and feta cheese for protein (needed for muscle growth after a workout), onions for pungency, tomatoes for acidity and cilantro dressing for a huge burst of flavor. It came together rather quickly and I enjoyed it all with a serving of whole grain crackers (baked with 10 whole grains & seeds). The crackers actually helped to complete the protein provided by the fava beans (adding essential amino acids) and added some much needed crunch factor. For the sake of all the people out there who hate cooking or like something quick and easy, I managed to muster up the energy to share it with all of you. Enjoy folks!
P.S. It's perfect for a potluck: low-cost, flavorful and quick and easy!
- 1/2 cup canned fava beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 oz feta cheese in brine
- 2 tbsp reduced fat cilantro salad dressing (available at Trader Joe's) or substitute pesto
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Add ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and thoroughly mix to combine. Enjoy with whole grain crackers.