Sunday, June 3, 2012

Wild Rice Burgers


I've been on a wild rice kick here lately.  I picked some up at my local Trader Joe's a while back and it's mostly been sitting in the cupboard keeping company with the bulk Indian spices.  This weekend, I decided to change that and went to the web for some inspiration.  My initial search for wild rice recipes retrieved several rice pilaf and rice salad recipes.  That wasn't what I was looking for at all.  I actually wanted something unique and totally out of the box.  I eventually googled wild rice burgers and landed on one of my favorite food blogs, theKitchn.  Voila!

One look at their recipe for wild rice burgers and I was sold.  I had most of the ingredients on hand and it seemed like the perfect thing to make in bulk for the upcoming week.  I doubled the recipe and used the ingredients I had on hand, substituting red bell peppers for celery and combining a mixture of regular Italian-style breadcrumbs (1/4 cup) with Seasoned Panko breadcrumbs (3/4 cup).  After cooking the patty,  I topped it with low-fat provolone cheese, spinach, broccoli and clover sprouts, avocado slices, and Duke's mayo.  The final result was substantial and packed with flavor.  I was very impressed by the fact that it didn't fall apart (like many of the flimsy veggie burgers I've had). Finally, a vegetarian burger worth writing home about.

Get the recipe here: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-wild-rice-burgers-157678


No comments:

Post a Comment