I have a kind of special relationship with baked beans. It was my first signature dish and, growing up, I was the Chief Engineer of Baked Beans in my house. I can vividly recall my intrigue with mom's process as she sauteed onions and bell peppers and cooked them in a cast-iron skillet with ground beef on the stovetop. The ground beef mixture was then transferred to a pot with canned baked beans, brown sugar, barbecue, honey, and yellow mustard and slowly simmered into a sticky, sweet reduction of beans. Hmmm, delish! I always knew if I could cook these delicious baked beans, I'd never have to worry about going hungry.
This version is a vegetarian homage to the baked beans that my mother taught me to cook many years ago.
Barbecue Baked Beans w/ Crushed Pineapple & Quorn Grounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-12 oz bag Quorn Meatless & Soy-Free Grounds
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1-14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-8 oz can crushed pineapple in pineapple juice, partially drained
- 1-28 oz can good quality Vegetarian Baked Beans
- 3/4 cup hickory smoke barbecue sauce
Preheat oven to 275º. In a large dutch oven or pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauteed the red onions, red bell peppers, and garlic until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the Quorn meatless grounds and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. If using a pot, transfer the mixture to a large ovenproof dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the liquid has reduced.