Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sweet Sesame Seaweed Salad w/ Mandarin Oranges


For the past few days, I've been hosting a friend from Brown (my alma mater).  We spent our time together catching up on life, sharing meals, lounging around, and reminiscing about the good old college days.  Yeah, she was, by far, the most low maintenance guest ever!   She left on yesterday, with a newfound appreciation for Charm City I might add.  That means I'll have about two seconds to catch my breath before welcoming another friend--from Mississippi--to the city later tonight.

On days like this, when time is of the essence, I like to pull together a quick entree salad, instead of cooking, to save time and calories (budgeting for those cocktails, you know).  In this case, I used the ingredients I had on hand and built the salad around the sweet sesame seaweed that I bought at Trader Joe's over the weekend.  I added ingredients that I thought would complement the seaweed and provide a nice flavor contrast. The resulting salad was juicy, sweet, crunchy, and slightly pungent--a win all around for me.  This recipe is definitely a keeper!


Sweet Sesame Seaweed Salad w/ Mandarin Oranges



Ingredients:


  • 1 serving of Escarole Lettuce Blend (escarole, endive & radicchio), roughly 2 cups
  • 2 tbsp green onions
  • 1 handful matchstick carrots
  • 2 tbsp whole water chestnuts, thinly sliced with a mandoline
  • 3 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 2 tbsp sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup julienned smoked sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup mandarin oranges
  • 2 tbsp Blue Stilton Cheese, cut into small cubes
  • 1 tbsp Seasoned Rice Vinegar, Balsamic Blend
  • 2 tbsp Sweet Sesame Seaweed

Direction:


In a large bowl, combine first 10 ingredients and mix well.  Plate the salad on a large dinner plate and garnish with sweet sesame seasweed.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment