Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cocktail Hour: Salty Dog


Did you know one of my first jobs as a newly minted Ivy League graduate was as a bartender?  I'd spent my entire life on the grind, and I thought I would do something "fun" for a change.  My family wasn't too happy about it.  My friends thought it was bizarre.  I actually ended up finding it to be a total drag.  I mean bartending did make the list of jobs that make the world a worse place.  Ouch.  I lasted about a year before I hit the refresh button; however, I'll always be grateful for that experience.  I can make a mean cocktail, and guess who my friends and family members are always requesting to make their cocktails at reunions and social events?  You guessed it.  Me, of course.  To keep things fresh and exciting over here, I've decided to incorporate a cocktail hour series with homemade cocktails.  I'll try my best to keep them as healthy as possible by using good ingredients.

I love, love, love grapefruit juice!  Quite naturally, one of my favorite cocktails to make is a Salty Dog.  It's made with vodka and grapefruit juice and served in a rocks glass with a salted rim.  Take away the salted rim and you have a Greyhound.   For an extra special touch, use fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.

Ingredients:


  • 1 grapefruit, sliced in half and juiced
  • 1 1/2 oz vodka (one shot)
  • 1 tbsp kosher or coarse sea salt
  • 4 to 5 ice cubes
  • 1 rocks glass

Directions:


Using a citrus reamer, juice the grapefruit over a medium bowl.   Set aside.   

Pour the salt in a flat saucer.  Then, take the rocks glass and dip the rim in the grapefruit juice.  Immediately place the moist rim end of the glass in the salt and twist it around until the entire rim is coated with salt.  

Fill the glass with ice, vodka, and grapefruit.  Stir and enjoy, preferably with some Michael Buble tunes in the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment